OUR QUAINT VILLAGE
National Register of Historic Places has listed ten sites in Clinton Village.
will feature each one in the ensuing months.
Jonathan Price Home - 1854 - 7905 Main Street
of the most ornate houses in Summit County, this home reflects the
degree of prosperity that the Ohio & Erie Canal brought to the
small community of Clinton.
known locally as "The Gingerbread House", it occupies a
prominent location on the corner of Main and Fulton Streets.
Gothic Revival style is a 19th century adaptation of the late
Medival forms of architecture. It is credited to Alexander Jackson
Davis who popularized Gothic Revival through his Pattern Books,
notably, "The Architecture of Cottage Houses" 1850.
include steeply sloped gable roof with fish-scale shingles and Board
and Batten siding with chamfered edges. A prominent, scrolled verge
board skirts the bottom of the projective eave around the core
section of the building. The gable apex is marked by a central finial
with pyramid shaped top, chamfered edges and a bun pendant. The
foundation consists of dressed and cut sandstone which evidence
chisel marks. The flat roofed front porch canopy is supported by two
Doric columns. The trabeated entryway features a four light transom
and three paneled paired sidelights. The "outhouse", which
is extant, also has a steeply pitched roof and fish-scale shingles.
The total cost of construction, including the lot ($48) was $1,056.
1854 Mathews and Tainton Atlas contains a street map of Clinton and
references the home owner "John" Price, General Merchandise
and Coal Merchant. His office is believed to have been located on Lot
57 on North Street. He also owned a few lots that lined the Canal
Basin on Water Street which served as a "parking lot" for
house represents the influence of ideas beyond the local area that
also arrived via the Canal Boats along with those passengers and
goods. It testifies to the owner's status in the community and level
of sophistication that Mr. Price expressed through the design and construction.
Mansion - The Francis Becker House 1854
in what was formerly the town of Warwick, this Greek Revivals
property tract was originally Congressional land owned by the Federal
Government. Its character is defined by decorative Greek
Revival elements such as a cornice line adorned with dentils and wide
freize boards. The facade features five bays with a central entry.
The trabeated entryway contains pilasters with an entablature. Dual
interior chimneys and a second floor balcony overlooking both the
staircase and the first floor entryway add to its charm.
Becker built the home in 1854 at a total cost for property and
construction of $5597. Owning several Coal Mines with interest also
in railroad operations, he was indeed, an important Businessman in
he died, at age 38, his business partner, David Tod, Governor of
Ohio 1862-1864) purchased the property which also included tramlines
vital to transporting coal from Rogues Hollow to Clinton. Historical
information suggests that he never lived in the home. Becker and Tod,
Coal Merchants, were indicative of the expansion of the community as
a Break-of-Bulk point for shipments on the Ohio &
1872 the property was purchased by John G. Warwick of Massillon,
Director of three local railroads. Mr. Warwick also had interest in
mining ventures and the rich coal holdings of the area were a great
attraction. Records indicate he, also, never lived in the home.
the late 1890s, he and a real estate developer from Cleveland
plotted his property into approximately 962 lots for development. A
balloon ascension was held as part of the sale.
ascension at Warwick when lots were sold - photo by Phidella Smith
was elected to Congress and died while in office. His Widow took
over the business affairs founding Warwick Furnace Factory in 1896
and Warwick Glass in 1901.
Coal Mine Owners picnic in 1901 illustrates changes were made
to the original façade such as a shed porch roof and metal
balcony railings yet the splendor lived on just as it does today amid
the current renovation.
Becker House -
LIMBACH BLOCK, built between 1878 and 1888 by the Limbach brothers,
Adam and Jacob at 7845 Main St.
Limabach brothers owned canal boats which were used to haul lime and
gravel for construction. Fearing the weight of the three story brick
structure, the hull of an abandoned canal boat was used as a base.
They believed it then would rise and fall with the swamp level. This
being the first brick building, they were offered a piece of
Cleveland Square to build it there. Cost of construction $2900.
is representative of the Italianate style of commercial buildings
which dominated the Main Streets of America during the late 19th
century. In 1903 it became the home of the CLINTON SAVINGS BANK.
Dance Hall was located on the third floor which was "socially
off limits" to local Ladies. Standing on the corner of Main and
Water Streets, on a quiet summers eve, you can almost hear the
whisper of music and the tap of dancing feet drifting down from above
as "Butch", the lamplighter, goes from pole to pole ,
ladder and oil in hand.